My Hair History

Okay, so basically the last time my mother cut my hair was when I was 2yrs old. She kept my hair natural most of the time unless there was a special occasion she would relax it then let it transition back to natural. I hated my natural hair not because it was ugly or anything but because it was just soooo damn painful. So when i turned 12 i was given the right to control what happens to my hair and I chose the relaxer route and have never turned back.
However I was young and ignorant really didn't know how to take care of my hair and it used to break so much.
Then i turned 14 and started experimenting with highlights dyes etc and yes, my hair got damaged.
I also used to get cute short bobs and trims to keep my hair shoulder length.
Then finally about 4 years ago in 2012 I decided to start my Healthy Relaxed Hair Journey.

My hair History in pics

My hair History in pics
form 2008 - 2012

my healthy relaxed hair journey

my healthy relaxed hair journey
started it end of 2012- 2015 however in 2014 my hair broke and I had to get a trim

My Afro

My Afro
March 2016

My hair right now

My hair right now
March 2016

Thursday 21 July 2016

Stop breakage and shedding: Moisturizing and Protein conditioners

Hi beautiful people
2 weeks ago I spoke about shampoos, so it made sense for me to talk about conditioners.

For a while I had been noticing that my hair was growing longer and healthier but I was still experiencing some shedding (not the normal shedding). I would see a lot of hair on the floor after combing or brushing my hair. Then after talking to some friends (Shout out to BK and Sikha) researching and watching some youtube videos I learnt about slaphate free shampoos, moisturizing conditioners and protein conditioners. I realized had been giving my hair too much protein and not as much moisture. This was bad because our hair needs a balance of the two. Some people need a lot more protein while others need more moisture. However too much moisture or protein is bad for our hair and can cause breakage and shedding. So it`s important for us to know our hair, so we know exactly what we need at different points in time. 


Black people tend to have naturally dry hair therefore the best way to add moisture to it is by deep conditioning it with a moisturizing conditioner. Water based products are the best for moisturizing. It is also very important to drink a lot of water about 2L a day.

Moisture
  • makes your hair softer which is important because our hair is naturally dry 
  • makes it easier to handle and manipulate your hair.
  • keeps your hair hydrated 
  • promotes growth of new hair.


Protein is responsible for 
  • strenghtening hair
  • rebuilding the hair follicle
  • repairing damaged hair
  • decreasing breakage and shedding
Protein conditioners are usually written repair/restore or for damaged hair.

I`m sure by now you are wondering how you can tell what your hair needs. Okay so basically when our hair is feeling brittle and dry it obviously means it needs moisture and when our hair is feeling too soft then it needs protein. So its important to feel your hair before washing it so you know what exactly it needs.
Dry = deep condition with a moisturizing conditioner
Soft = deep condition with a protein conditioner
We need to alternate between the two depending on what our hair needs at that point in time.


List of moisturizing conditioners

  • Mizani Moisturfuse Moisturizing Conditioner



  • V05 moisture Milks Conditioner




  • Tresemme Naturals Moisture Conditioner (what I'm currently using)



  • Dove Intense Moisture Conditioner



List of protien conditioners


  • Dark and Lovely Ultra Cholrstorol (what I usually use) 



  • Aunt Jackie's In Control (what I`m currently using)


  • ORS Hair Mayonnaise


  • Motions Moisture Silk Protein Conditioner


I hope this helps you out when you are picking out your conditioners as well as washing your hair. Feel free to comment, make suggetions or ask questions in the comment section below or dm me on twitter, FB or IG. You can also expect a post from me every Thursday! 

Oh and this blog reached 5000 views this week😀🎉 ðŸŽŠ   Thank you so much for the support and thank you to all the people that have sent me pictures and messages telling me that I've helped them it means so much to me.

XOX & Take good care of that hair.

6 comments:

  1. I am learning so much from your posts. Thanks so much. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you are welcome and thank you for the support boo.

      Delete
  2. Nice work Vongi, Thanx for the tips

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey vee

    How often should you deep condition your hair with either a moisturizing conditioner or protein

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hey hun I rotate weekly depending on how my hair is feeling. So if its feeling dry and brittle i uses moisturizing condition and when it feels too soft protein

      Delete